We’ve been big fans of Rob Oppenheim’s for a few years now, and have always known he’s got that special “it” factor. We were genuinely fired up for Rob when he got his ticket to the PGA last October, and it didn’t take long for the rookie to show that he’s planning on sticking around […]
5 MISTAKES YOU MIGHT BE MAKING IN THE TEE BOX. What’s the best way to have a great round? Or even a great hole for that matter? Start it off right. And we’re not talking about your stance, your club selection, or swinging yourself into a pretzel… but about the other things you could be […]
No matter what brand or type of driver you’re hitting, consistently finding your club’s “sweet spot” is one of the best ways to amp up your play. Even with the advancements in driver technology, this is still true. As a matter of fact, according to Golf.com, the hot spot on most drivers today has creeped […]
A subtle shift of the foot here, and simple reposition of the tee height there… as we know all too well here at Evolve Golf, it’s the little things that add up to big improvement. Here are a few of our favorite tips that we’ve cultivated over the years.
It sounds like it goes against convention, or even intuition… but addressing the ball with your driver toe angled up a bit is a good way to ensure that you are allowing for your wrists to “break.” Allowing your wrists to break helps increase the velocity of the driver at the right time, and keep you swing fluid and easy. Keeping your arms stiff, and a straight line down to the club head only reduces your velocity.
If you’re looking for a more scientific explanation, there’s a little thing called “Centripetal Force” that many manufacturers compensate for. This is the pulling down of the club head in the downswing that tends to “droop” the shaft enough to even out the club head. Try not to think about it too much.
Proper Tee Height.
There are so many things to consider when talking about tee height. Many players like to tee that ball up high, and let ‘er rip. But the truth is, every driver is as unique as every swing. Knowing the proper height of your driver’s sweet spot is important, and being able to consistently tee the ball up to your driver’s sweet spot every time only provides a cocktail for good drives. Check out Evolve Golf’s Sweet Spot System to find the best tee height for your driver.
Again, it seems a bit uncomfortable, and anti-intuitive… But your body position is hugely important. Most instructors will position the ball to the inside of your forward foot, and have you slightly angle your hips, sine and shoulders back, just a bit, so that the club is square, level, and on it’s way up just slightly on impact.
Build Your Speed.
Professional instructors like Derek Hooper have seen a lot of bad swings in their day. One of the biggest issues is the over aggressive swing. Golfers try to take get a burst of power from the start of their swing, causing a lot of movement, and a lot of inaccuracy. To fix this, Derek suggest thinking about building your swing with your large muscles. Let your lower body lead the motion, with the upper body following and pulling the club down, building speed along the way so that by the time it get’s to the ball, the club is traveling at maximum speed without as much movement. The results should be some of your greatest distance.
Trust Your Stuff.
Look in your bag. See all that equipment? What did it cost… $1500? $2000? That’s a lot of science you paid for. A lot of technology. So trust it. So often we look at our clubs and think we need to help it, angle it a bit to get the ball up a bit. Swing a little harder to get the distance. But these clubs come from manufacturers and technologists whose entire job is to make you play better. So go ahead… trust it. Smooth out your swing, believe in the equipment, and watch your game improve.
Sunset Beach, NC January, 25 2010 – Evolve Golf, Inc.
- Evolve Golf – maker of the No. 1 performance golf tee on Tour – will exhibit its full line of innovative products at the 2010 PGA Merchandise Show in a specially designed, ultra eco-friendly booth (#3009) that showcases the company’s dedication to sound environmental practices.
- Recognized as one of the golf industry’s most environmentally-friendly companies, Evolve Golf’s popular performance tee lines and packaging are made completely from recycled materials. Taking this approach to another level at the PGA Merchandise Show, the company’s unique display booth will feature:
- A structure made completely from reclaimed river wood, dredged using historical research and sonar technology by the Cape Fear Riverwood company – dedicated to protecting living forests by relying on resources abandoned a century ago
- ECO ACT II banners from Banner Creations – a green printer since 1993 – which are made from 100-percent post consumer recycled PET bottles. Exceptionally durable, they offer great print quality through a dye sublimation process employing water-based inks
- FLOR carpet tiles made with renewable and recycled content, an ingenious flooring design system that blends form, function and a commitment to be environmentally responsible
- The company will also be exhibiting the new Epoch-S3 model, as well as an enhanced range of color options, sustainable packaging and smaller “pro shop packs,” at this year’s PGA Show.
- Since 2004, Evolve Golf products have been a part of 124 major Tour wins, including 46 PGA Tour victories. The Epoch is the only performance tee with radius posts that span the width of a golf ball dimple. This unique feature creates the lowest coefficient of friction of any tee, eliminating deflection at impact and increasing ball speed and control. The Vireo features a wider, deeper cup for greater stability than traditional wood tees. Evolve products are far more durable than their wooden counterparts and not harmful to mower blades.
Attributed to: BJ Maloy, Founder & CEO, Evolve Golf, Inc.
“Since day one we have been dedicated to providing players and facilities with products that out perform competitors on the course and are as eco-friendly as possible,” says BJ Maloy, Founder and CEO of Evolve Golf. “This specially designed trade show booth is a representation of who we are as company and further expands our message of the importance of sustainability in the industry.”
About Evolve Golf
The industry’s emerging golf tee leader, Evolve Golf’s innovative and sustainable products are available at marquee private clubs, daily-fee facilities, off-course and online retailers worldwide. Visit the store locator online to find retailers in a specific area.
To date more than 150 top clubs and resorts nationwide have embraced the superior performance and durability of its eco-friendly golf tees by completely phasing out wooden offerings.
The Epoch tee recently finished at the top of GolfTest USA’s 2009 “Comprehensive Golf Tee Test,” besting the competing designs from the other leading manufacturers.
For more information please visit: www.evolvegolf.com or call 866.614.3158
Mower Tests Prove Evolve’s Tees Are Better for Golf Courses
• Evolve Golf’s sustainable golf tees are made entirely from recycled and renewable materials.
• Evolve Golf’s sustainable golf tees last longer than wood tees and do not harm mowers.
• Mower tests were conducted at Diamond Creek in Banner Elk, NC.
• A static test compared the shear force required to cut through golf tees. Equal quantities, lengths, and shaft diameters of wood tees and Evolve Golf’s sustainable tees were compared. A torque wrench was fitted to a sharpened and calibrated triplex reel. The golf tees were cut through at different locations on the blades and the shear force was recorded each time.
• 30% more force is required to cut through a wood tee compared to Evolve Golf’s sustainable golf tees.
• A dynamic test compared the impact of mowing over golf tee litter. Equal quantities, lengths, and shaft diameters of wood tees and Evolve Golf’s sustainable tees were evenly disbursed in front of the left and right reels of a sharpened and calibrated triplex mower. Repeated passes (6) were made to clear the area of tee litter. The bed knives were inspected at the conclusion of the test, neither side deviated from the initial calibration.
• Evolve Golf’s sustainable golf tees will not impact the mower reels during mowing operations.
Attributed to: John Lavelle, Superintendent, Diamond Creek
“The switch to long tees increased the amount of tee litter on the course. Since switching over to Evolve’s tees there’s been a noticeable reduction in tee litter. It’s rare that we see a broken tee anymore, if we do it’s a wood tee.”
Attributed to: John McNeely, General Manager, Diamond Creek
“This is a traditional golf tee that performs better, lasts longer, costs the same, and saves trees. We shouldn’t look back twenty years from now and say we could have done this sooner. I don’t know why you wouldn’t switch.”
About Evolve Golf
Evolve Golf is the leading manufacturer of sustainable performance golf tees, including the Epoch™, The #1 Performance Golf Tee on Tour™. Evolve Golf products are available at golf clubs and retailers worldwide. For more information about Evolve Golf and our products please visit our website.
At Evolve we have tested the durability of thousands of golf tees. We’ve come to the obvious conclusion that wood tees break a lot. But there is more to it, the type of wood, coating of the tee, size of the tee, the depth of the tee in the ground, angle of attack, swing speed, and club selection all play a part in the ultimate demise of the wooden tee.
According to a test conducted by Golf Magazine golfers use an average of 6.75 wood tees during an 18-hole round of golf. The test results ran aside the “Tee it high or low?” cover story in Golf Magazine’s June 2006 print issue.